Monthly Online Seminar Series
Richard Harrison, PhD
This seminar series explores the clinical landscape of AEDP State 3, the realm of the transformational affects. These are the energetically expansive, positive emotional states that arise, spontaneously, in the wake of processing painful emotions of trauma and suffering (State 2). Each seminar meeting will feature extensive use of clinical video from AEDP therapy sessions. Together, we will witness, track, and discuss the remarkable transformational arc from State 2 through State 3, as it manifests in work with a variety of patients who differ from each other in terms of salient aspects of identity and history (e.g., ethnic and cultural background, sexual orientation, race, age, gender, trauma history, etc.), and who present with varied attachment styles.
The six phenomenologically distinct transformational affects are a crucial component of the AEDP change process. They fuel the transformational spiral, and promote flourishing in the wake of suffering and loss. As a participant, you will learn to recognize and work effectively with these powerful emotional experiences, in order to expand, deepen, and consolidate therapeutic change-for-the-better. We will also witness and explore moments of integrative Core State (State 4) experience, which are energetically distinct from both State 2 and State 3, and characterized by a deep sense of calm and rightness.
This learning opportunity is well-suited to seasoned AEDP clinicians who want to deepen and refine their practice, as well as people who are newer to the model, or those who want to refresh and consolidate prior learning. We will start with a brief overview of foundational principles and key interventions, then expand and build on these as we go. An appetite for learning and an open mind and heart are the most important prerequisites.
Collectively, we will co-create a learning community in which we:
- Delve deeply into the recognizable, yet phenomenologically distinct, characteristics of the six transformational affects
- Unpack key interventions that advance the therapeutic process in States 2 and 3, including AEDP’s hallmark intervention of metatherapeutic processing
- Witness transformance in action: the innate healing potential that pulses towards resuming impeded growth
- Identify psycho-biological markers that guide the unfolding process and inform therapist choice points, as they arise in clinical work
- Explore opportunities to amplify, extend, and deepen moments of therapeutic change-for-the-better, and thus promote positive neuroplasticity and flourishing
- Expand and consolidate prior learning; and
- Foster increased self-confidence and empower you in your AEDP practice!
- Summarize key aspects of AEDP theory and the four-state map that guides AEDP’s transformational process.
- Identify the clinical landscape of State 2 versus State 3 of AEDP.
- Distinguish between six, phenomenologically distinct, State 3 transformational affects.
- Recognize opportunities to expand and consolidate moments of therapeutic change-for-the-better, and thus promote positive neuroplasticity.
- Explain and contrast interventions that advance the therapeutic process in State 2 and State 3, respectively, including AEDP’s hallmark intervention of metatherapeutic processing.
- Identify and comment on psycho-biological markers that guide and inform therapist choice points, as they arise in clinical work.
- List specific AEDP skills used to access and explore internal experience, and recall an acronym (SPACE) for a clinical intervention set that facilitates this process.
- Discover the potential of judicious therapist self-disclosure to amplify and deepen positive affective states.
- Explain a clinical intervention set (HEART) used to enhance, extend, and expand positive emotional and/or relational experiences, in order to promote flourishing.
Meet the Presenter
Posts not found
Location, Dates and Times:
Location: Online via ZOOM
4 Tuesdays | October 18, November 15, 2022, January 10, February 14, 2023
12:00 – 3:30 pm EST (3.5 hours)
Non-Members $449.00 USD
AEDP Members $439.00 USD (log in to register)
Scholarships are available. To learn more and apply, please go here.
AEDP Certification: This course does not count toward AEDP certification.
Continuing Education: This program is generally eligible for 13 CE hours of continuing professional development credit.* Participants must have paid course fee, attended the entire course and completed an evaluation to receive CE. RCassidy, is our CE partner and will provide CE certificates. In addition a certificate of completion will be provides by the AEDP Institute. Partial credit is not available.
Go here for a list of professions included, state approval and other details on CEs for this course.
There is no conflict of interest or commercial support for the presenter or for this program.
ADA Accommodations | Attendance | Refund Policy | Questions
Disability Access: If you require ADA accommodations please contact our office 30 days Or more before the event. We cannot ensure accommodations without adequate prior notification
Attendance and Makeup Policy & Refunds:
Course and all customer service related questions:
Please contact Customer Service Administrator
Billing, Receipts, Credit Card matters, Payment Plans:
Please contact our CE and Registration Partner, R. Cassidy Seminars
866-992-9399 x 105
707-566-7470 x 105
Office Hours: Monday – Friday 8:00 am – 2:00 pm PST