Join us for our 2013 Immersion Course
November 18th – November 22nd in New York City
Healing at the Edge of Transformational Experience:
The Transformation of Attachment Trauma
This 5-Day Immersion Course in AEDP is intended for practitioners interested in AEDP, in its transformational theory, and in exploring its applications to the treatment of attachment trauma. Our focus is on AEDP and the theory and practice informing AEDP work at the edge of healing experience to repair attachment trauma. Making extensive use of clinical videotapes of actual therapy sessions, the aim of this course is to foster proficiency in the practice of AEDP, as well as facilitate its integration into clinical practices that make use of other experiential, body-focused, trauma-based, relational and/or psychodynamic methods.
Theoretical Framework: Clinical Teaching from Videotapes
AEDP seeks to undo the patient’s aloneness in the face of overwhelming suffering and to engage innate healing forces within, i.e., transformance, so as to heal trauma, restore vitality to self experience, and engender resilience.
AEDP engages the process of deep emotional change and features a theoretical framework for transformational work. Seamlessly and organically integrative of attachment, emotion, affective neuroscience, mother infant studies, experiential techniques and body based trauma treatments, AEDP’s attachment based transformational framework scaffolds AEDP’s hallmark moment-to-moment to moment clinical work, which traces an arc whereby emotional suffering is seamlessly transformed into flourishing. This course will teach you how to work at the edge of transformational experience and how to use somatic-affective transformational markers to guide interventions. You will learn how to use AEDP’s rigorous transformational phenomenology to closely track clinical processes. Extensive use of clinical videotapes will demonstrate hallmark AEDP techniques such dyadic affect regulation; experiential work with attachment experience; working with receptive affective experience, such as feeling felt, feeling seen, and feeling cared for; processing emotion through to a transformational shift; and the metaprocessing of transformational experience. Experiential exercises will allow you to both practice AEDP interventions and experience how brain, body, psyche and the experience of human connection and transformation intertwine to unleash deep emotional change and heal attachment trauma.
What Does an Average Day Look Like?
- Each day begins with a 90-minute theoretical presentation grounding the clinical work in the conceptual framework of AEDP’s healing oriented transformational theory.
- The remainder of the day will consist of clinical teaching revolving around clinical videotapes, with a focus on the phenomenology of transformation and techniques, and strategies of intervention. Special attention will be accorded to working with the experience of transformation, the healing affects, offering and receiving affirmation, and promoting core state experiencing, all in the context of transforming attachment trauma. In essence, this Immersion course is a soup-to-nuts course in AEDP.
- The format will be highly interactive and emphasize the back and forth with participants, thus activating dyadic processes of communication. There will be an opportunity to practice aspects of AEDP through structured-in experiential exercises.
Videotapes Will Help You Learn and Practice How To:
- entrain neuroplasticity and harness healing forces from the get-go
- be a transformance detective
- work experientially with the experience of attachment in the here-and-now therapeutic relationship
- use affective/somatic affective markers to moment-to-moment track clinical process and guide interventions
- recognize the phenomenology of the transformational process: the 4 states and 3 state transformations of AEDP
- use dyadic regulation to undo the patient’s aloneness in the face of overwhelming emotional experience
- use dyadic affect regulation to transform shame and fear; restore connection, flow and awe
- regulate and process emotion to a transformational shift, from negative to a point where positive affects and adaptive action tendencies are released
- use healing affects to foster True Self experience through being a True Other
- metaprocess transformational experiences to engender upward spirals of resilience, health, creativity, & well-being, i.e., flourishing
- promote core state and experiences of openness, compassion, self-compassion, flow, ease, wisdom, generosity, and calm
It is the vision of the course to bring together clinicians from different perspectives who share an interest in AEDP specifically and/or in dynamic-experiential work in general, but who also each bring his or her own very special expertise, interest and experiences. In this way, not only will the course be exciting and enlivening, but AEDP will continue to grow, be enriched and enhanced by being in communication, or dyadic coordination with these other lodes of knowledge and wisdom. Given the interest expressed in this course, it looks like that vision might be actualized, which is a very exciting prospect.
Course Fee and CE Credits
The fee for the AEDP Immersion course is $1,500. An early bird savings of $100 is available until September 1st if tuition is paid in full at the time of registration. There is also a $50 discount for members of the AEDP Institute. There is not a student rate, as the course is intended for practicing clinicians who have completed their post-graduate professional training.
This program is eligible for 32.5 CE Hours of continuing education credit through our co-sponsor R. Cassidy Seminars. To view the CE accreditation statement click here. CE Credits are included in the course fee.
For our cancellation/refund policy click here.
Course Location and Lodging Information
401 Seventh Avenue (at 33rd Street)
New York, NY 10001
A block of hotel rooms has been reserved for our program attendees. To reserve a room at our preferred rate of $165 (Single/King) or $195 (Double/2 Beds) please click here or call the hotel reservation office during business hours at 212-736-5000 ext. 8790 or toll free at 800-223-8585 and use the code AEDP. You must make your room reservation by October 27, 2013 to take advantage of the discounted rate.
Course size is limited to 85 participants and our Immersion Course always sells out. We recommend early registration to ensure your spot!
Registration is now open! Register online by clicking here or call 866-992-9399 or 707-566-7470 to sign up for the course.
Questions about this course? Click here to email us or call 866-992-9399.
Having trouble logging in or purchasing? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.