The Dyadic Repair of Attachment Trauma:
Healing at the Edge of Transformational Experience
Presented by AEDP Institute Sr. Faculty Member
Jerry Lamagna, LCSW
and Guest Presenters
Thursday – Monday| September 5-9, 2024 | 10:30 AM – 7:00 PM Eastern Time USA
Who the Immersion course is for
Immersion is for licensed mental health practitioners (or the local/regional equivalent to ‘licensed’*) as well as interns legally practicing under the license of a supervising practitioner.
These licensed mental health practitioners include: Psychologists, Social Workers, Counselors, Doctors, Nurses, Psychoanalysts, Psychotherapists, other Behavioral Health Therapists and related professionals.
*Every country / state / province has different rules regarding licensing. While AEDP™ Institute is generally familiar with navigating the licensing process in the U.S., we are not familiar with the process and regulations in most other countries. Our practice is to consult local AEDP practitioners for information on the nuances of education, licensing and other regulations in their areas.
If you have a question about the relevance of this course for you and/or your eligibility for this course please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with your credentials before registering.
For information about whether this course offers Continuing Education credits for your license, see the bottom of the page. Course Content Level: Beginner/Intermediate
This course is intended for practitioners interested in AEDP™. Our focus is on AEDP transformational theory and practice using AEDP work at the edge of healing experience to repair attachment trauma. Making extensive use of clinical videotapes of actual therapy sessions as well as one half day of experiential work guided by assistants. The aim of this course is to introduce AEDP and facilitate its integration into clinical practices that make use of other experiential, body-focused, trauma-based, relational and/or psychodynamic methods.
AEDP seeks to undo the patient’s aloneness in the face of overwhelming suffering and to engage innate healing forces within, i.e., transformance, so as to heal trauma, restore vitality to self experience, and engender resilience.
AEDP Immersion is the first course in a series of certification courses for licensed therapists who are seeking to become AEDP Certified.
AEDP Immersion: Theoretical Framework, Clinical Teaching from Videotapes, Experiential Exercises:
The Immersion course is an individualized but structured training of AEDP psychotherapy’s rigorous transformational phenomenology and its experiential psychotherapy techniques. During this intensive training, the Institute’s highly credentialed and skilled faculty teach theoretical underpinnings and practical methods for the application of the AEDP model. Participants in the course learn AEDP techniques for working experientially with relatedness and emotional experience including: undoing their patients’ aloneness, dyadically regulating intense emotion, and processing emotional experiences including corrective moments when care, support, affirmation and compassion are emotionally “taken in”. Course participants witness, track, discuss and begin to practice these AEDP hallmark techniques. Case examples are used throughout to demonstrate therapeutic interventions using videotaped sessions of the presenter’s own AEDP work with clients, including making use of many of the videos of AEDP clinical work that are part of APA’s Clinical Videos series. For a half a day on the 7th day of the course –by which time participants have been exposed to ample didactic materials and clinical videotapes illustrating the principles being taught in live clinical action, participants’ new skills are practiced in small group experiential exercises bringing AEDP theory and clinical practice to life: furthermore, these hands-on practice exercises are conducted under the close supervision of certified AEDP therapists and are an important aspect of AEDP’s deliberate practice approach to teaching and training.
What an Average Day Looks Like:
- Introduction to AEDP: AEDP as a transformational, healing oriented model of therapy.
- Transformance (i.e., AEDP’s term for the innate, wired in drive to heal) vs resistance as motivational constructs in AEDP.
- Present empirical evidence showing the transdiagnostic effectiveness of AEDP to both significantly diminish negative symptoms of psychopathology, e.g., depression, maladaptive cognitions, and enhance positive aspects of functioning, e.g., self-compassion, and self-esteem.
- Present empirical evidence showing the long-term effectiveness of AEDP and the maintenance of therapeutic gains (significantly diminishing negative symptoms of psychopathology, e.g., depression, maladaptive cognitions, and significantly enhancing positive aspects of functioning, e.g., self-compassion, and self-esteem) at one year.
- The AEDP Road Map: The phenomenology of the four state transformational process.
- The Triangle of Experience: Using the Triangle of Experience to guide AEDP work with defenses, inhibitory affect and other obstacles to emotion processing.
- The Triangle of Experience: Using the Triangle of Experience to map patients’ emotion regulation strategies in AEDP clinical work.
- The Triangle of Social Experience: Using the Triangle of Social Experience to map patients’ internalization of experiences of marginalization, oppression, and racialized trauma and to guide work to acknowledge, validate and transform experiences of invisibility.
- The Therapeutic Stance of AEDP: affirmation, validation, dyadic mindfulness, dyadic affect regulation, judicious self disclosure, cultural humility, developing cultural comfort, curiosity and advocacy for the patient’s experience.
- Relational work, moment-to-moment tracking and the dyadic repair of attachment trauma: the focus on receptive affect.
Location | Dates | Times
Location: Live Online and highly interactive!
AEDP’s Live, Online Learning: Requirements & FAQ’s
Includes 1 year free AEDP Membership, after the completion of the course($130 value)
Dates: Thursday – Monday| September 5-9, 2024 | 10:30 AM – 7:00 PM Eastern Time USA
Times for each session: Days 1-4: 10:30 AM – 7:00 PM; Day 5: 10:30 am – 4:00 pm, Eastern Time USA
Please check these dates and times closely for conflicts with Local Holidays, Religious Holidays,etc.
Registration Fee | Scholarships
Note: Immersion Online is limited to 80 participants. Immersion Courses almost always sell out. We recommend early registration to ensure your spot.
Registration Fee (includes 34 CE)
One Payment: USD $1659
Payment Plan: USD $1699 *requires $500 deposit due at registration and 5 monthly installments of $239.80 which will start one month after your registration date.
The Immersion Program includes 1 AEDP Course Completion Certificate, 1 Year AEDP Membership ($130 value) including Free Transformance Talks (a member favorite!), Member discounts on Seminars and courses, plus up to $250 Savings on Essential Skills (a limited time offer)
Limited Scholarships are available for this course- click here for details
Meet the Lead Presenter
Jerry Lamagna, LCSWJerry Lamagna, LCSW is a Sr. Faculty member of AEDP™ Institute and a psychotherapist in private practice in Manhattan and Westfield, New Jersey. His early career focused specifically on treating adult children raised in alcoholic families, where exposure to clinical challenges associated with complex trauma inspired him to pursue training in approaches like psychodrama, EMDR, ego state therapy, trauma/dissociative disorder treatment, IFS and of course, AEDP. In 2004, Jerry, along with Dr. Kari Gleiser developed a modified version of AEDP for the treatment of dissociative disorders. Since then, Jerry has authored three articles on AEDP and its application in treating complex trauma and in 2015 released a three DVD training video of his teaching and live clinical work. In addition to writing, supervising and providing psychotherapy, Jerry teaches AEDP seminars and all AEDP Certification courses: Immersion, Essential Skills, Advanced Skills and Core Training. When courses were taught in person he taught in both North America and Europe.
Disability Access: If you require ADA accommodations please contact Marilia Rodriguez, email@example.com or call 813-553-1294 thirty days or more before the event so we can be sure to accommodate you.
Attendance and Makeup Policy & Refunds:
Course and all customer service related questions:
Please contact Customer Service Administrator