Specific Strategies for Bringing the Theory and Heart of Experiential Therapy Into Your Clinical Practice
with Benjamin Lipton, LCSW
This online seminar is for professionals and students in mental health and the healing arts and sciences including: Psychologists, Psychotherapists, Psychiatrists, Psychoanalysts, Social Workers, Counselors, MFTs, MD’s, Nurses, Creative Arts Therapists, and Masters & Doctoral students as well as soon-to-be licensed Interns & Trainees.
Attachment, embodiment, resilience and transformation are all buzzwords in the psychotherapy zeitgeist. Many models reference one or more of these concepts as their core therapeutic principles. Fewer models explicitly translate these broad concepts into specific and refined intervention strategies that operate moment-to-moment in the clinical process. In other words, understanding change processes intellectually is a very different skill set from working with them experientially in clinical work. AEDP, with its dual clinical focus on: a) directly translating attachment research into the clinical practice of fostering secure attachment and b) naming, tracking and experientially amplifying the specific, somatic, moment-to-moment markers of positive transformation, offers specific, strategic techniques that foster a client feeling deeply recognized and understood, safe and secure, and as a result, curious and increasingly capable in relation to Self and others.
This online workshop is designed to lift the AEDP theory we will be learning off the page (or Powerpoint slide) and deliver it to you as a lived, embodied experience. For therapists new to AEDP, this workshop will provide you with a starter kit of these techniques. For those of you who are more experienced in the model, this workshop will collaboratively build upon what you know and address common challenges we face when working experientially as we watch actual clinical video over the course of the day.
Main Points of Workshop:
- The main theoretical foundations for AEDP: an attachment-based, emotion focused, experiential, body-centered, and transformation-based models
- How to utilize nonverbal, somatically focused “Right-Brain to Right-Brain” interventions in the service of facilitating secure attachment
- How to track somatic and affective markers moment-to- moment in order to soften defenses and gain access to healthy emotion
- How to apply the foundational AEDP technique of experiential meta-processing to guide your work moment to moment in a session
- How to share your own emotional experience in ways that deepen rather than divert from the healing process
- How to stay “dropped down” and focused on experiential exploration of emotion when the urge to explain wants to overtake you or your client
- Name 3 core concepts of AEDP
- Utilize 1 right brain to right brain intervention to create safety
- Practice moment-to-moment tracking
- Express judicious self-disclosure of therapist’s experience of the patient to foster connection, soften defenses and regulate shame
- Classify defense, anxiety and emotion
- Practice the intervention of meta processing
The online course package includes:
- 5 hours of streamed online learning – including both client sessions and video of Benjamin Lipton teaching from Powerpoint and interacting with participants in the original Charlottesville, VA, USA presentation plus
- 1 beautiful complete written transcript of a client session that was originally included in the daylong live seminar but replaced with transcript for this online course
- 2 handouts: Lipton’s “What is AEDP” handout and Lipton’s complete Powerpoint presentation from the daylong seminar.
Meet the Presenter
Benjamin Lipton, LCSWBenjamin Lipton, LCSW, is a founding faculty member of AEDP™ Institute. He is based in New York City and has travelled nationally and internationally to teach and present AEDP to a broad range of professional audiences. Mr. Lipton pioneered the first AEDP Advanced Core Training programs (Bay Area and Seattle); and he teaches seminars as well as the certification courses Essential Skills and Advanced Skills. His open and engaging teaching style and skill in translating complex ideas into clear and accessible learning points receives consistent praise from his audiences. Mr. Lipton is the editor of From Crisis to Crossroads: Gay Men Living with Chronic Illnesses and Disabilities (Haworth Press) and has published many clinical articles and book chapters in psychology and social service journals over the past two decades. (Read More…)
Requirements, Fees, Registration and Credits
On Demand Trainings are to be viewed on your private computer or smart device. They are intentionally not downloadable; we “stream” them. So, having a high speed Internet connection is important to having a good learning experience.
This training is intended to be viewed only by mental health professionals and students in mental health or related fields. You will be asked to provide evidence of your professional credentials before completing registration and payment.
One client session that was included in the live version of this seminar is included in the online learning version as transcript instead of video. The transcript is gorgeous – beautifully including not only the client’s and therapist’s words, but physical reactions and changes that are relevant and important for the therapist to know of as they learn AEDP under the guidance of a master teacher, Benjamin Lipton.
Fee and Registration (does not include continuing education credits-see below for additional information)
- $149 for non-Members
- $129 AEDP Institute Members only (you must be logged in to receive the discounted price.)
Continuing Education Credits
There is a $25 fee associated with taing the test to earn your certificate. Upon completing the video there will be a link to take the test for CE.
This is a pre-recorded on-demand Distance Learning Video, which is considered a home study course. If you would like to earn 5.5 CEs for the course a test must be taken after watching the video.
There is a $25 fee associated with taking the test to earn your certificate. Upon completing the video there will be a link to take the test and pay for CE.
Participants must attest to completing the course material, complete the evaluation and complete the post-test with a passing score of 75% or better.
Failure to complete and submit these materials will result in forfeiture of credit for the entire course. Partial credit is not available. Documentation of CE credit is based on the date the exam is completed. The completion date cannot be changed. There are no exceptions to this policy. This course is co-sponsored by R. Cassidy Seminars, P.O. Box 14473, Santa Rosa, CA 95402
Listed below are the continuing education credit(s) currently available* for this recorded On Demand Training. Each local and National professional board has its own specific Rules and Regulations for Continuing Education Credit Approval and Acceptance. Check with your State Regulatory board if you have questions or concerns not clarified by the information provided below. If your profession is not listed, please contact your licensing board to determine your continuing education requirements and check for reciprocal approval. For other credit inquiries not specified below, please contact our CE and Registration Partner, R. Cassidy Seminars Karen Newell, email@example.com, 866-992-9399 x 105 before the event.
*Individual Board Rules are subject to change.